Saturday, October 31, 2009

Help me out here, if it isn't diabetes then what's wrong?!?

Why, when the weather gets warm, do my feet, lower legs and especially my ankles swell so much %26 so fast? I am, once again, at war with sugar (and apparently losing.) Several times I've been certain that I'm diabetic b/c a few relatives are and because of how strongly I react to sugar. It renders me non-functional in less than an hour. It's pitiful, and crazy-making.

But, once again I was recently tested after the "don't eat after midnight" restriction, and the results were normal. Yet, I'm looking at my ankles and feeling kind of alarmed at how much swelling there is, and how this time, unlike most, it's the next day and they continue to be swollen, though less so.

I'm 46-yr-old, maybe related to peri-menopause?? I also react strongly to the heat in general, within minutes of going outdoors I begin perspiring heavily, and it stops after 10-15 mins. However, when I go indoors, it happens all over again.
Answer:
There are numerous possible diagnoses, but without lab data and a physical examination, everything would be speculation. Clearly, something is amiss. Whether it is a serious condition or something minor (like a dietary adjustment) can only be determined by your health care provider.

An isolated blood sugar test isn't a reliable indicator. Your doctor will order a test called an A1C that will provide information about your blood sugar levels over the preceding 3 months.

But there are other disorders that may be manifesting, so your smartest action would to be seen by a health care provider.
Edema ( water retention ) can be caused by many things...salt intake, kidney function, thyroid function, etc. etc. See your health professional to find the cause and treatment for this problem. Edema can cause health risks, such as high blood pressure.
I really would go to another doctor for a second opinion and a complete physical. I also reported Smitty. He has been making weird comments on the Women's Health board...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net