Sunday, October 25, 2009

Heavy bleeding and tissue discharge, Biopsy contribution?

I'm completely irregular on the menstrual cycle. I'm 21 and haven't had a period since I was 16. I went into the OB-GYN's and had an ultrasound and biopsy done. Ultrasound results were showing heavy cysts around my ovaries. Biopsy came up negative on the cancer scale. After the biopsy, I had the worst pain, cramping, bleeding I've ever seen in my entire life. A month has passed and I believe I'm having a period, but is it normal to have large amounts off tissue come out. I'm having to change my tampons at least once ever two hours. Please help me figure this out!
Answer:
It seems a bit late for tissue to be sloughing from the cervix after a biopsy...but you didn't say that's where the biopsy was done. Was it of the ovarian cysts?

The normal "alert" is when you are bleeding enough to soak a pad every hour. I'd suggest switching from tampons to pads, watch for fever or other symptoms of infection, and see your doctor if you don't have any improvement within 24 hours.

Did your doctor mention polycystic ovary disease? If so, this is hormonal and will affect your periods. Get in touch with your doc for more information - you need to be aware of what is going on with your body.
biopsy usually will not cause this much bleeding, especially if it was done a month ago. this is most likely an anovulatory cycle and they can be quite heavy. women with cycles like this will often have such heavy bleeds that they need blood transfusions. you should seek medical attention if this continues
Check out PCOS Poly-cyctic ovarian syndrom/disease. see if it matches your symtoms. It sounds like it to me. I just got diagnosed after 5 years of going to different dr's.
http://www.pcosupport.org/
Check out this site, and google for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net